Greetings Greenthumbs! I'm Kathryn Hogan, and I'm here to tell you about my adventures in permaculture.

If you'd like to know more about me, check out my website! www.kathrynhogan.ca


Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Extinctions are Important - A Short Rant

Imagine that you live in a small town, where everybody has a job that helps the town function. There are farmers, ranchers, hunters, gatherers, doctors, lawyers, dentists, grocery-store-people, etc.

Now imagine that someone comes in and kills every single doctor, dentist, nurse, homeopath, naturopath, midwife, doula, or person with good knowledge of herbs.

How do you think that would affect your town as a whole?

Now imagine that someone comes in and kills off every retail person, and burns down all the stores.

Your town is not looking so good for the survivors.

Similarly, extinctions are just as damaging to ecosystems as climate change.

No comments:

Post a Comment