Greetings Greenthumbs! I'm Kathryn Hogan, and I'm here to tell you about my adventures in permaculture.

If you'd like to know more about me, check out my website! www.kathrynhogan.ca


Friday, May 25, 2012

Problem Solving in the Garden

It seems that gardening knowledge focuses on solutions to problems. Permaculture takes that further, looking to solve problems before they happen, and enhance plantings so that they are as healthy as extremely healthy clams.

So far this spring, I've been doing LOTS of problem solving. Here are some problems I'm working on now, and how I plan to go about solving them. Check back for updates about how this works out.

1. Yellowing Needles on Siberian Pine


It took me a long time to find this sapling. Pinus Siberica, otherwise known as Siberian Pine or Siberian Cedar, is the tree for which the immensely popular book series The Ringing Cedars of Russia was named. They are slow growers well suited for my climate, and I am very excited to grow one.

To prepare the bed for this tree, I dug about 2 feet below surface and filled it with composted manure. Then I added an extra 1-1.5 feet of soil on top of that, and planted the little sapling directly above the hole. I did that because this species has a tap-root, and the soil where I live can be quite packed with clay deeper than a foot. This way, the sapling will already have a healthy root system before he has to get through the clay.

I also planted the sapling with a healthy dose of mycorrhizal fungi, which it needs to grow. As you can see, though, the tips of the needles are looking sort of yellow. 


What's wrong: 

This pine is in the sun almost all day, which he supposedly needs, so the problem isn't sunlight. It could be that the soil composition isn't what he's used to: I will do more research to find out. Finally, it could be that this guy just hasn't been getting enough water lately, because it's been quite dry here.

Solution:

Water the sapling lots and see if it improves. If not, research soil needs and amend accordingly.

2. Spindly Honeyberries


Compare the leaves on these two honeyberries:
















What's wrong:


 The spindly honeyberries haven't been getting enough water: the healthy bushes are all in low, wet parts of the yard.

Solution: 

I cut some planting pots in half and placed them at the base of the berries, like so.

The top half of the container is about an inch into the soil. It makes a lip around the bush without disturbing the seedlings nearby.


This will help water collect where it's needed: their root balls. I will be watering them heftily in the weeks to come.

3. Yellow Meadow Rue


This Meadow Rue is tall, strong, has beautiful flowers, and is suddenly turning yellow.

What's wrong: 

There are a few options.

a) The Meadow Rue could be negatively affected by the spruce, among whose roots the Meadow Rue is planted. However, I've seen plenty of healthy Meadow Rue among spruce in the forest nearby, so that's probably not it (or at least not exclusively it)

b) A bit of frost damage

Wild Meadow Rue has just started growing.
c) Water being sucked up by spruce roots and not getting to the Meadow Rue

d) I got this Meadow Rue from a greenhouse, where it probably started growing 2-3 months ago. Meanwhile, the Meadow Rue growing wild nearby is only just starting to grow. It could simply be that this fella is ahead of season, and suffering as a result.


Solution: 

Wait and watch. Make sure this guy gets fair amount of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment