Greetings Greenthumbs! I'm Kathryn Hogan, and I'm here to tell you about my adventures in permaculture.

If you'd like to know more about me, check out my website! www.kathrynhogan.ca


Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A short tour of my Intensive Garden Beds

Russian Kale sprouts exploding into the world!
I mention my intensive beds a fair amount, and it's high time that you, the internet, get a photo-fueled tour of those beautiful places.

At the moment, the intensive beds are used for cold season vegetables like kale, radishes, and chives;  ground veggies including carrots, onions, and beets; herbs that will hopefully grow in my harsh climate including lavender, chamomile, parsley, oregano, more chives, etc.

Raspberry starting to come back, with herb
sprouts all around!




There are also some strawberries, four raspberries, a gooseberry, two goji berries, a blueberry and a siberian pine; all  planted how I want them to be when they are fully mature. As they grow, they will shade out the high production beds, who will move to a more dog-proof part of the world, namely, the front yard.



Gooseberry in the forefront, with beds surrounding it.





My lavender survived the winter!


The same gooseberry is now in the background.
Behind that is my log cabin!
In the meantime, however, all of the aforementioned bushes live in the middle of a sun-bowl with the veggies. That means they benefit from reduced winds and slightly higher temperatures, which will help them grow up nice and strong. Until that time, they won't shade my annual crops.

As the garden matures, these beds will become shadier places with lots of bushes and a couple trees (Romeo Cherry, Siberian Pine, the Trembling Aspen that already call this spot home, and the spruces that you can see in the background of the third picture.

I've already planned out how I'll change pathways as the garden grows... now I just have to wait to enjoy all of the delicious bounty!


No comments:

Post a Comment