Greetings Greenthumbs! I'm Kathryn Hogan, and I'm here to tell you about my adventures in permaculture.

If you'd like to know more about me, check out my website! www.kathrynhogan.ca


Tuesday, May 29, 2012

That's not Kale!

Something amazing has happened, and it's not kale.

A couple of weeks ago I posted A short tour of my Intensive Garden Beds. This tour included the following picture, which I naively thought was the Russian Kale I had planted in the spring.

I thought this was Kale! But it's not!
Those of you familiar with Kale and other cool weather greens may have laughed yourselves silly at my simple mistake. I thought that, having planted a particular seed, that seed would grow. What a fool I was!

As it turns out, these beauties have grown even more, become bushy and leafy and I finally had to taste one.

And huzzah! It's SPINACH!

Last year, I let a few of my spinach plants go to seed. Then I just left them, and buried them in mulch over the winter. That's all it took for a whole bed of spinach to bless my garden this spring. Were I the baby-spinach type, I would have been able to enjoy spinach salads even before dandelion salads.

I'm never pulling spinach from the garden again!

No comments:

Post a Comment