Greetings Greenthumbs! I'm Kathryn Hogan, and I'm here to tell you about my adventures in permaculture.

If you'd like to know more about me, check out my website! www.kathrynhogan.ca


Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ant Garden Design: Sunflowers to the Rescue!

I was reading this really interested article about urban agriculture in Cuba, which is full of concrete, easy to imitate examples of permaculture in practice.

The use of 'traps' to contain pests without resorting to toxic chemicals in particular caught my eye. I had already heard of confusing pests with very aromatic but predominantly pest-resistant plants like chives, but had yet to come across something so brilliant as sequestering aphids by giving them a free meal: sunflowers.

And that's when it hit me.

"Self!" I said to myself, "Aphids are what the western thatching ants ranch! I could use sunflowers in my ant garden!"

Well, suffice it to say that I agreed.

My hubby loves sunflowers, but I'm not sure if our growing season is going to be long enough for them to produce edible seeds. This is a great opportunity for them to play a very useful role in the garden beyond aesthetics, whether or not they produce.

Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment