Greetings Greenthumbs! I'm Kathryn Hogan, and I'm here to tell you about my adventures in permaculture.

If you'd like to know more about me, check out my website! www.kathrynhogan.ca


Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Artifical Fertility: Yay or Nay?!

Today I did something scandalous. I bought fertilizer, and I even put it around some of my plants.

DUN DUN DUN.

This is scandalous because part of the reason I am so interested in growing my own food is to avoid eating food contaminated with toxic chemicals. However, the chemicals I applied today are not toxic, as far as we know.

Often, it's necessary to add artificial fertility to a permaculture forest garden until the garden has grown-up enough that it can provide its own renewing fertility. Seeing as installing is happening now and maturity won't happen for a while, I think it makes sense to give my plants a boost, increasing their success and that of the entire garden ecosystem.

Also, it gives me a chance to evaluate the effectiveness and possible side effects of the fertilizer, and pass that experiential knowledge onto YOU, dear reader!

You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment