Greetings Greenthumbs! I'm Kathryn Hogan, and I'm here to tell you about my adventures in permaculture.

If you'd like to know more about me, check out my website! www.kathrynhogan.ca


Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A bit of Inspiration...


In ecosystem succession, weeds perform some of the most vital soil building functions. Many 'weeds' are dynamic accumulators that dig deep into the ground and draw nutrients up to the topsoil. They are the brave few who dare to go where other plants cannot: the infertile places, the too-hot-and-sunny places, the in-between places.

Why?

So that other plants can grow there afterwards. Weeds build up the soil, and in doing so, forfeit their competitive advantage over less hardy plants. They thrive in conditions where no one else can, but spend their lives making their homes hospitable for others, who will eventually overtake them.

Few forests would be possible without the efforts of weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment