Greetings Greenthumbs! I'm Kathryn Hogan, and I'm here to tell you about my adventures in permaculture.

If you'd like to know more about me, check out my website! www.kathrynhogan.ca


Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Dangerous World of Landscaping.

Disfigurement by lawnmower.

Crippling heavy-rock-lifting related injuries.

Really bad sunburns.

These are all the real dangers that are faced by any person intrepid enough to explore and attempt to alter a landscape. Sure, some tools exist to help us avoid these pitfalls - like sunscreen.

But there is one tool in landscaping and gardening that no amount of preparation can prepare you to handle.

I am of course talking about the credit card.

That's a lot of plants.
Take, for example, a recent sojourn to the local gardening center. I wanted to get a few berry bushes while they were still dormant, some manure, seed potatoes. The usual.

But then I saw them.

Perennials.


The first shipment of perennials had just arrived, and I became blind with garden lust. The next thing I knew, I had completely filled one of those giant rolling carts with the plants seen at right, which will soon make up the greenery in the shade garden I am building. --->

It was madness.

These plants won't be able to go in the ground for at least another week. So why did I buy them now?

There are two correct answers.

1) Lack of self control and patience.
2) I figured I could 'multi-task': get these beauties hardened up while, at the same time, waiting for the day to come when I could plant them. This, instead of buying them two weeks from now, and then having to spend another week hardening them.

In the meantime, my plants sit happily in a giant tub that, when vacated, will become a potato planter.

Be careful, friends and readers. It's a dangerous world out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment