Greetings Greenthumbs! I'm Kathryn Hogan, and I'm here to tell you about my adventures in permaculture.

If you'd like to know more about me, check out my website! www.kathrynhogan.ca


Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Project Bumblebee

Bumblebee's wings are so small, compared to their bodyweight, that they shouldn't be able to fly.

In spite of this, bees are one of the most important species on the planet. In many ecosystems, they're the glue holding the rest of life together: they pollinate, buzz around, look adorable, etc.


Einstein estimated that the extinction of the bumblebee would give humanity 4 years before extinction. That's right. We rely on that little bumbler for our very existence.

To me, bumblebees are a poignant reminder of nature's tenacity, resilience, beauty... and fragility. By the laws of nature itself, these little striped crusaders shouldn't be able to do their vital work, but they do anyways.

Given the immense complexity of every single tiny ecosystem on this planet, it seems equally impossible that living land communities could survive, let alone flourish, while under ever greater attack by human activities. But all around us, in cracks in the sidewalk, empty lots, parks and protected areas, and so many other places, living things are working to restore the balance of the world.

Project Bumblebee


If given the chance, I will buy land in ecologically fragile areas to give the life of those areas a chance to flourish. My focus will be on farmland that has been rezoned or is for sale at a decent price; large hobby farms / acreages (5 acres and over); and previously protected land that is now available for development. Using permaculture principles, non-invasive planting techniques and native species, I will help these pocket-ecosystems to mature into a self-sustaining state.
If possible, these land communities will include one species that is native all over the world: humans. There are many people who would love to live in ecovillages on their own plots of land, growing much of their own food in a sustainable way that mimics natural ecosystems known as the forest garden. I know that I want to. And if given the chance, I'll make it happen.


In the meantime, my half-acre in the ghost watershed will have to do, and I'll build it up with living things and nutrients as best I can. I'll also make sure there are lots of flowers for you, bumblebee. You keep on buzzing.

No comments:

Post a Comment